Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thomas Bilney

In his commentary on I Timothy, John Stott gives us the story of Thomas Bilney's conversion after reading the words of Paul in I Timothy 1:15. Bilney searched for peace but could not find it. "But at last, I heard speak of Jesus, even then when the New Testament was first set forth by Erasmus...And at the first reading (as I well remember) I chanced upon the sentence of St. Paul (O most sweet and comfortable sentence to my soul!) in I Timothy 1. "It is a true saying, and worthy of all men to be embraced, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am the chief and principal." This one sentence, through God's instruction and inward working, which I did not then perceive, did so exhilarate my heart, being before wounded with the guilt of my sins, and being almost in despair, that even immediately I seemed unto myself inwardly to feel a marvelous comfort and quietness, insomuch that "my bruised bones leaped for joy" (Psalm 51). After this, the Scripture began to be more pleasant than the honey or the honeycomb.

Bilney went to the stake for his faith.

No comments: