Monday, December 29, 2008

PRAYER: IT'S ALL ABOUT GOD

Prayer is about the glory of our God and his Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus made this statement: Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son (John 14:13). The focus of our praying must be the glory of God and of Christ. Many believers treat prayer as if they were a child requesting things from Santa. Prayer means that God gives me whatever I want. For others, it’s a form of self-help. Prayer helps me feel better about my problems. This creates a lot of confusion. People wonder why God hasn’t “answered their prayers.”

Idolatry takes over my heart when my focus becomes my glory, my personal fulfillment, my desires, my comfort, deliverance from mt problems. When I worship Christ, everything else pales in comparison. When I desire the glory of God my focus changes; my prayer life changes. I long for and pray that his name would be exalted and honored in my life, in his church, and among the nations.

As we enter a new year, may our focus in prayer be upon Christ and his glory, rather than our own pleasures.

No comments: