Monday, September 14, 2009

The Love of God

I continue to be amazed, humbled, and convicted by Jim Packer's book, Knowing God. Chapter 12 is a great explanation of God's love, a chapter he begins by telling us that his love "is one of the most tremendous utterances in the Bible - and also one of the most misunderstood."

Packer concludes the chapter with these provoking statements and questions: "John wrote that 'God is love' in order to make an ethical point, 'Since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another' (I John 4:11). Could an observer learn from the quality and degree of love that I show to others - my wife? my husband? my family? my neighbors? people at church? people at work? - anything at all about the greatness of God's love to me?"

J.I.Packer, Knowing God

No comments: