Monday, June 16, 2008

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

The most influential person in my life is my father, Joseph Godwin, Sr. I have the honor of sharing his name and passed that honor to my oldest son as well. I was very pleased recently when my son indicated that, should God give him a son, he would give serious consideration to passing the name on as well. Naming my son was more about honoring my father than naming him after myself.

My father served as a pastor for over forty years. His life and ministry have been a great example to me. My first pastorate was twelve miles away from the church he pastored so he was my constant mentor and counselor during those formative years of ministry. Later, I was called to pastor a church that he had once pastored, a tribute to his leadership. That stands out as one of the great honors of my life.

My father was not an absentee dad, as is the case with many pastors. He clearly understood his first responsibility as a father (if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?). I recall fondly the ice skating rink he put in our back yard in Michigan, the fishing trips before us boys even knew how to hook our worms, the family outings to Findley State Park, vacations at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. He provided us memorable experiences for which I am grateful. My father’s greatest pleasure today is still time with his children, their spouses and his grandchildren.

On Mother’s Day I wrote of my parent’s deep commitment to each other. I will repeat that their commitment to each other has been a great example to us children. My father is a husband who loves his wife as Christ loves his church. This has been a lasting legacy for me personally.

Thank you Dad, for the example you have been to us children and our families. Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: